Sunday 16 March 2014

FRIDA KAHLO - Bibliography

On occasion of the big exhibition of the mexican artist frida Kahlo in Rome (20-03-2014/ 25-08-2014) I thought to put togheter a little bibliografy about the artist, not only under the artistical and historical point of view to honor her multifaceted personality and also because... it's just more fun. There are plenty of biographies and catalogues you can find, so here's just some suggestion of what i find particularly inspiring.  Most of the books reported here are in italian or english but if you would like to know if there's something similar in your language, don't hesitate and ask me, I'll do my best to help you!




Hayden Herrera, "FRIDA KAHLO, THE PAINTINGS", Perennial, 1993
For an artistical and Historical overview of Frida's work, this is the book I would suggest. It goes quite deep without ever being boring and I think it is able to capture the attention of a very wide range of readers.  Anyway the exhibition in Rome will be curated by Helga Prignitz Poda, the catalogue is not yet on sale, but maybe that could be a good start point either.








Hayden Herrera, "FRIDA, a biography of Frida Kahlo", Perennial, 2002:
Ok this is really mainstream, it's the book used for the movie, but I have to say, I like both very much, success has a reason sometimes!!! The only thing I can't stand is the image of the actress instead of the real Frida on the cover...but success has his consequences, quite always! You can find this biography in almost every language except of.... italian!









Frida Kahlo, M. Zamora, "THE LETTERS OF FRIDA KAHLO: Cartas Apasionadas", Chronicle Books, 1995:
A collection of Frida's private letters to enter her world through her own words and narrations.









Guadalupe Rivera, Marie Pierre Colle, "FRIDA'S FIESTAS Recipes and reminiscences of life with Frida Kahlo", Clarkson Potter, 1994:
The book is written by the daughter of Diego Rivera and offers a collection of recipes and stories about Frida's parties, on special occasions. I don't like the photography of the book very much but it is certainly very interesting to discover a little bit of the painter's more intimate life, and gives you a great occasion to do a party or dinner in mexican style with Frida's dishes and to continue to discover and talk about an artist in the everyday life and not just in the museum. My daughter, Frida, received this book as a present and we are eating quite a lot of mexican stuff prepared by very small hands in the last times.


Vanna Cercenà, M.Sagona, "FRIDA KAHLO", Einaudi Ragazzi, 2006:
This is an Italian book, a band i didn't read it but I had it between my hand and it seemed quite well made to me. I'll let you know something more about it when I'll read it!

There is also a Spanish version with the same title published by Sirenas, 2007







Fabian Negrin, "FRIDA E DIEGO Una favola Messicana", Gallucci, 2011:
  In Mexico the day of the deaths is a happy and coloured festivity. The autor of this book decided to locate the story in this special day, narrating with his very evocative language the entrance of little Frida and Diego into the reign of the skeletons! A wonderful book made with a great stylistic coherence that will be able to introduce your kids (and not only them) in Frida's world.  

There is also a French version of this adorable book available: 
Fabian Negrin, Marion Spengler, "FRIDA ET DIEGO: Au pays de squelettes", Seuil Jeunesse, 2011


Jonah Winter, Ana Juan, "FRIDA", Arthur a Levine, 2002:
This lovely book is the first about Frida I bought for my children. It tells the story of her life in a very simple way but giving lots of indication that really help to see deep into her work. The illustrations  by Ana Juan are amazing and I think it's just the perfect book to introduce the topic.

You can find it also in Spanish (same publisher, same year) and French (published by Gautier Languerau in 2006)



Amy Novesky, David Diaz, "ME FRIDA", Harry n Abrams, 2010:
This is a book about a very short period in Frida's life, the time she went to San Francisco, following her husband Diego. That's another book I didn't read and I'm not even sure I really like the few illustrations I saw, but I think it's a really interesting idea, to talk about that very period of her life and I'm really curious, so stay tuned and I will soon share my thoughts about it.









No comments:

Post a Comment